Tuesday 5 August 2014

Northern Ireland, Co. Antrim Day 4

July 27, 2014.  On our last day in Antrim, our agenda was to check out Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Giant's Causeway, and Dunluce Castle.  Looking back on our weekend, we should've done the last two days activities on the first two days, when it was sunny and warm!  Our last day had miserable weather, and Manuel and I basically had to take turns seeing the sights while the other drove around with sleeping kids in the car in the pouring rain.  I WILL have a re-do of this day before we leave Ireland so that the kids get to experience it all!

The one thing we were ALL able to do that day was the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge.  It was such a crazy thrill, especially in the rainy, windy weather!  The 20-meter rope bridge crosses over the crashing waves from the mainland over to a tiny island with amazing views.  I was wearing Benicio in the sling, and Manuel wore Isandro in a backpack carrier.  Thank goodness for baby-wearing, otherwise most of the things we do in Ireland would be impossible!

The tall trees leaving our B&B.

Driving along the Causeway Coastal Route was stunning!

Kinbane castle was one on my list to see, but this was as close as we could get...

Entrance to the castle was gated so we couldn't get through.  I was bummed! :(

Here we are making the 1 km walk to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge... in the rain!

The scenery in Ireland is amazing!

You can kind of see the little dots in the distance... those are people exploring the little island after crossing the bridge.

Must be safe! :O

My little trooper after walking a kilometer in the rain as we wait to cross the bridge.

I took this picture from the steps that go down to enter onto the bridge.  

They only allow 8 people at a time to cross over, and we had to wait about 5 minutes for people who were on the other side of the bridge to cross back over.  My nerves were building!

You can see the steep steps going down before getting on the bridge.  Obviously I had already crossed the bridge and Manuel was behind me with Isandro and Lina.  She got scared so Manuel had to carry her too!



Views after crossing the bridge.

I took this picture from the island after crossing the bridge.  The people in line are waiting to cross back over.

Here we are in line waiting to get back to the other side.  That's the thing, if you decide to cross the bridge, you really have to do it twice!

Eeeeeek!



Even Benicio was there for the adventure!

After the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge, we headed a few minutes away to see the Giant's Causeway.  The rain and wind was really getting crazy at that point, AND the kids were all asleep in the car, so Manuel and I had to take turns exploring the Giant's Causeway while the other drove around with the kids.  NOT how I wanted to experience Giant's Causeway.  When it was my turn to explore, I got drenched.  It was raining so hard, the rain was practically going horizontal, and it was extremely windy, so there was not a dry inch on me!  I felt like I had taken my clothes, dunked them in a pool, and then put them on.  Of course when it was Manuel's turn, the rain had stopped and he stayed completely dry.  Not fair!!  Despite the crazy wind and rain, it was an amazing sight to see, just wish the kids were able to stomp around there... they would've loved it.

Walking up to see the Giant's Causeway... I think these guys forgot to check the weather forecast?!





Seeing all the crazy rock formations was really interesting!

I just know the kids would've loved hopping around here!




Even my "exploring shoes" didn't stand a chance... my feet were soaked!  Although I'm glad I wore them, they were great for slippery surfaces and climbing.

Rain drops on the camera lens.  Grrrr!

Yeah as you can see, this guy's umbrella wasn't cutting it!

Despite the plain crappy weather, I wanted to check one more sight off my list... Dunluce Castle.  About 15 minutes drive from Giant's Causeway.  Kids still asleep in the car, and it was raining/windy, so I was disappointed to have to explore this one on my own in such a rush.  I WILL have a re-do of this day with the kids!

I think Dunluce Castle takes the cake as far as coolest castle ruins for exploring!  

View from the castle.

Castle on a cliff... I mean, WOW!

How would you like to make your dinner in that oven?  ;)

So awesome.

180+ steps down to "Mermaid Cave" below.







No comments:

Post a Comment